theInquiry. Search for more Political Topics here!

Custom Search

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Democracy for Dummies

After reading the article Democracy for dummies by Joe Hirschhorn, it reminded of when my psych professor pleaded to my class that if we are not politically well informed to not vote at all. Or to "not vote stupid". And well, I think he's right.

The public is so easily influenced by propaganda, political lies, and the mass media's "interpretations". It's all psychological really, when the public watches reports such as Keith Olberman's rant about Senator McCain, people who watch "reports" such as this start to formulate new opinions about candidates and allow other peoples perceptions influence their decisions. People's minds deluded so deluded by the mass media.

While reading this article I found it astonishing that the public still thought Iraq was in the blame for 9/11 even after the 9/11 commission report said that Iraq was not to blame. Still, 50 percent of us still believe otherwise.
How many of us really read newspapers, watch the news, or even read about current events on the Internet? Do all people really know about candidates they vote for is from their 30-second commercials? Does the public really know or comprehend how misleading those campaign commericals can be?
When you look at us 18-25 year old voters, who had an an increased interest in the presidential campaign. Yeah, sure "interested" is the key word here, but do half of the "young voters" even know what their voting for or why? Are young people up to date with the nation's economic situation or other current issues.

Honestly, this past year I didn't want to pick a candidate. Because all the dumb kids in my high school only wanted to vote for Obama because of the color of his skin and others for Hilary because she would be the first female in the executive office. Sadly, some of those dumb kids were registered to vote, and that is why my psych professor said what he said. I refused to pick a candidate just based on those reasons. I rather know everything there is to know about a candidate before I make a final decision.

In my opinion, this article is a very good read. It opens your eyes and makes you realize how politically stupid America is, Sad but true. Hirschhorn makes a good point and argument. He lists different examples that really help to understand where exactly he's coming from.

So, when the public says their either "left-leaning" or "right-leaning, well lets put it this way:
Just because you own a piano, doesn't make you pianist.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/democracy-for-dummies.html

No comments:

my political ideology

somewhere in the, tejas
My name is Sarah Carpenter, I view myself as and independent leaning to the left a bit. I'm taking this class to futher my knowledge of texas government. I also want to prove to others that the difference between me and other "young voters" , I know what I'm voting for and why. In better words: I don't vote stupid. Not only that, it's very naive to not know anything about your own state's government. I don't have much political backgorund, but i am very opinionated when it comes to war, congress, and gay civil rights. I have a strong interest in history when it comes to wars such as the one in Veitnam and the times of the civil rights movement. So hopfully people can gain an insight into what I beleive and think, Hopfully I won't offend anyone.